Day 4: Greater Than We Thought!

Date: February 9,, 2023

By: Shaylee Marr

Today was another great day at my field experience site. Today, my MT began by asking the students where they thought money came from. Many students needed clarification and answered to the best of their abilities. As the day continued, the students went on to math, and they learned something new about greater than, less than, and equal to. The curriculum consisted of whole group questions such as, “If I had 32, 45, 23, and 13, how would I order these from least to greatest?” The MT will continue to ask the students engaging questions to determine their understanding of the content as they go along. As the MT taught the class and the next activity came up, I circled the room, answered the students’ questions as they had, and checked their work when they brought it to me. The next activity consisted of measuring with apples; they were to measure themselves with an apple measuring tool and then measure an item in their homes and determine if the item was so many apples greater than or less than they were. When the students brought me their work, I asked them engaging questions such as asking them, “If you are _ apples tall, and the item is __ apples tall. Are you taller than the item or shorter?” When the student answered, I would continue with, ” So how many apples taller or shorter are you than your item?” Once they answered, I would continue with, “So if you are _ than the item, are you _ apples greater than the item, or less than the item, or equal to?” By asking these questions, the students are given options to consider and can use their critical thinking skills to determine if they are greater than, less than, or equal to the item they measured at home. Activities such as these, regarding my skill as an aspiring educator, allow me to become more comfortable assisting and guiding students to achieve their goals.

Activities such as these, regarding my skill as an aspiring educator, allow me to become more comfortable assisting and guiding students to achieve their gActivities such as these, regarding my skill as an aspiring educator, allow me to become more comfortable assisting and guiding students to achieve their intended goals. As the classes continue, I could be better at being more active and communicating more with the students when I am in the classroom by asking more questions and attempting to engage with the students so they are aware of my presence as an instructor. To work toward this goal for next week, I will be teaching a small science portion before my full lesson is to be done in the next 2 weeks. The more I can communicate and guide the students as a leader and instructor, the more likely they will trust me with their full attention and allow me to teach them with the thought of retention in mind. So, to see if I achieved this goal, lets see what happens next week friends!