Day 13: Math Mayhem Lesson Plan!

Date: April 27, 2023

By: Shaylee Marr

During this week of fun teaching experiences, I completed my last a final field experience lesson. As the day began as normal, I started with informing my teaching and the students about my departure from the class as of next week so there would be no surprises. As the students came in, they completed their normal everyday bellringer and I checked to ensure the students answered the question in full sentences, with proper punctuation, and with logical answers. After the students completed their bellringer, I began my math lesson plan. The math lesson revolved solely on the cirriculum provided by the school with revision that I made tho ensure I was able to assess the students as individuals. The lesson covered counting to 120 in unit form. When the lesson began, I started wiht asking students engaging question to assess their prior knowledge on unit form and numbers as high as 120. The questions I asked in order to engage the students in deeper thinking was questions such as, “Does anyone know what a place value is?”,”Can anyone seperate this number into tens and ones place?”, “Does everyone agree with the responses?”. By asking these questions, I am able to see from the beginning of the lesson what the students already know and what students still need assistance.

As the lesson continued, I continued to ask the students engaging questions so I am able to assess the students as individuals and as a whole group. When the independent practice or the assessment portion of the lesson plan began, it became clear that the students had a general idea of what was expected of them and how they were to complete the given assignment. From this lesson all the students except one fully grasped the concept of deconstructing and reconstructing numbers as high as 120 in unit form.

Overall, this weeks’ lesson went fairly well and I beleive the studnets’ learning improved based on the lesson I taught. Also as the rest of the class continued, the students were well behaved as I conducted to literacy and the centers for the rest of the day after lunch. During the centers activities, the MT had me assist students in creating fingerprint flowers to prepare for the upcoming Mother’s Day. After completing the fingerpting pedals, pictures of the students faces were used to place in the center of the flower. So far everything is going well, next blog post will be an update of my last day at my field experience location, hopefully it is an interesting update. Until next time friends!