Day 9: Fun with Phonograms!

By: Shaylee Marr

Date: March 23, 2023

Today was yet another amazing day at my field experience location. Per usual, the day began with a bellringer. After the bellringer, the students schedule somewhat changed around due to the lesson I had to teach. The day went pretty normal and the events were casual. The students began their day with math. After the students finished their math lesson, I took them to gym class. Once I had picked up the students from gym class, they went to lunch.

After the students returned from lunch, we soon began to to focus on our literacy lesson. Today was the day that I had to complete my literacy lesson that is graded. For this lesson, I focused on phonograms, mainly the ILD and IND phonograms. First I began with phoneme deletion that allowed the students to focus on the deletion or the removal of a phoneme from the complete word. After having the students repeat the word, delete a phoneme, and recreate the word, I was able to begin with the main focus. For starters, I asked the students if they know what a phonogram was and how to identify one. We also discussed the gestures that were used in order to identify phonograms. Whenever I mentioned the phonograms to the students or presented them on the board, I showed the students the phonogram gesture to engage in repetitive behavior. Once the students were able to grasp the concept of the phonogram gesture, we continued to practice for better understanding.

For assessment, I had the students complete 2 different individual assignments. The first, was for them to read the given passage “I Can’t Find My Hat” that includes ILD and IND phonograms. To begin, I had the students read the passage individually and underline the words that have the ILD and IND endings. I gave them about 5 to 7 minutes ot complete this task. Once the students were done, I told them to categorize the words under either the ILD or IND boxes at the bottom of the page. I gave the students a few more minutes to do this. After they were done, I read the passage to the students sentence by sentence and I would periodically stop in order to ask the students if the sentence had one of the phonograms we were looking for. I continued this process until all the words were placed in the correct category. Once the students finished, I had the give me their papers and I gave each of them a piece of dotted line paper and asked them to make 2 sentences: one using a ILD phonogram and one using a IND phonogram. During this time, I had 2 students who I felt needed more help in identify ILD and IND phonograms and creating complete sentences to a small group in the back to help with differentiation of instruction. I had the students identify a ILD and IND word from the word bank we used within the passage and create their own sentences using the word. One aspect I would say that I need work non is the closing transitions. While I was helping the students create their own sentences in the back, many of the other students were done and they began to walk up to me and their MT. If I am to do something like this again, I would want to create a transition for the students to begin something else while waiting.

Overall, the lesson was fun and interesting but per usual there are always things that can be done that can make it better. I will use what I have done for this lesson, to better my future lesson, I can not wait until I teach again. Until next time friends!