EDEC 4561 Field Experience Day 2

Today was my second day within the pre-k classroom in order to complete my field experience hours. Within this timeframe, I observed and participated within several interesting activities. As the day began, the students were dropped off by their parent(s) or guardian(s) in the gymnasium. After entering the gymnasium, the students begin with greeting the instructor then listening to music in order to play and dance. After a few moments, the instructor engages the students within an activity about animals. She placed almost a dozen photos of animals with children next to them pretending to be that animal on the gymnasium floor. The instructor then has a classmate of mine and myself to instruct and lead the children within the activity after demonstrating once herself. Within the activity, we have the students pick up cards off the gym floor and ask them what animal is on the card. After the students acknowledge what animal is on the card, then we will pretend to be said animal. For example, one of the children picked up a card with a bear on it, I engaged the students by asking them questions such as “Where does a bear live? In the sea?” and I wait until they told me about them. Once the children have answered questions, I demonstrate how a bear might walk.

After finishing this activity, the children went back to the classroom for breakfast. Once breakfast was complete, the instructor guided the children to the carpet for carpet time. Within carpet time, the instructor has the students listen to a few videos about the alphabet and shapes then continues with the “Wish You Well” board. Once all the students who are not present are acknowledged on the board, the instructor has the students mark on the board how they are feeling so far for the day and then are dismissed to their centers for playing and free time. Hopefully I will observe and engage more with the children next week, until then!